19 October 2010

Kudzu Root With Yu Zhu Soup


The first time I tasted this soup was during dinner at my FIL's house. Everyone seemed to like the soup because it tasted naturally sweet with soothing effect.

Later that night, my MIL showed me what is kudzu root like together with her soup recipe. 

This starchy white root is said to reduce both hangovers and alcohol cravings and is an ancient Chinese medicine for cold and has health strengthening  properties too.

Nowadays, I often boil this soup and it had became one of my regular soups for dinner.

Ingredients :


a small kudzu root - peeled and cut into chunks ( lightly bruised to help increase the flavour )
10 small pieces of yu zhu / sealwort
size of a fist of pork loin
1.5 liter water
salt to taste

Method :


Bring water in a small pot to boil and add in pork loin. Continue to boil until all the scums from the pork rise to the surface. Remove pork and wash away all the scums.

In another medium large pot, put cleaned pork loin together with the rest of ingredients except the salt.
Bring to boil and switch to low heat and let it simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Add salt to taste.
Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment